Pages

March 4, 2010

Cryptids in Utah

I have lived in Utah for about ten years now, but I still am finding out things about the place that surprise me. As I dig further into tales of cryptids (undiscovered or legendary animals) in Utah I am surprised by how many stories exist here. Being that Utah has a lot of desert landscape, I ignorantly thought not many legendary animals would exist in the state. I have read up on the strange sightings of the Jersey Devil in New Jersey, unusually large wolves (that may or may not walk on two legs) in the Great Lakes region, and Chupacabra sightings centralizing in Texas but spreading across the nation and the world.

When I was younger, I spent at least of few summer family reunions on Bear Lake. Apparently there have been quite a few sightings of a monster in the lake, somewhat similar to the Loch Ness Monster but not. You can read more about this Bear Lake Monster and see video from Animal Planet on it here. It goes to show that wherever humans are, strange, inexplicable animals will be seen. Are these creatures real or merely the figment of peoples' imaginations? It is possible some could be real creatures (for example, gorillas were thought to be imaginary until their discovery in the early 20th century) while others are the product of peoples' fears, need for attention, or the misidentification of known animals.

Now that I am finding out more about the cryptids here in Utah, more stories will be coming in the future. Does the Bear Lake Monster exist? I'm not really sure, and like with other cryptid stories I'll let the reader decide.

No comments: