Pages

January 30, 2012

Movie Review: Limitless


The movie Limitless originally was intriguing to me because it is about a writer. Bradley Cooper's character is a writer who is washed up before ever really getting started. He is "working on his book" while living in squalor as a starving artist. That's right, Cooper looks horrible, complete with an awful haircut and an apartment that looks suitable for sewer rats and not much else. His girlfriend has left him and he pretty much is a joke as he wanders through life.

That is, until he runs into his former brother-in-law, who gives him a drug that gives Cooper's character supposedly limitless mental abilities as it unlocks his brain's full capacity. Cooper's character immediately cleans himself and his apartment up, and then he sets to finishing his book. Just a few days later his agent is astounded with the book he writes. Cooper's character, of course, does not stop at a book. Pretty soon he begins day trading securities and makes a small fortune quickly. This, of course, attracts attention and trouble.

The cinematography and special effects that portray the drug at work are highly creative and effective. The story kept me interested, with the action's pacing moving the story along at a good pace. I did not find myself wondering when the movie was going to end, but instead I was interested in what was going to happen to the characters. I also thought the movie provided a good lesson on what drugs do to people, causing them to go to great lengths to get their fix.

I do have to admit that as a writer, I sometimes have wished (okay, a lot of times) that I had some way to work and not sleep at night, so I could then accomplish so much more work. Of course, as in the movie Limitless, doing so comes with a tradeoff that is pretty pricey, so such thoughts always stay in fantasy land. I know some writers (such as Stephen King) have turned to drug use to up their productivity. As King and others found out, though, drugs robbed them of precious parts of their life. In fact, King said he did not even remember writing Cujo.

3 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I also really enjoyed Limitless. It had a few surprises for me, and in spite of his mistakes (and instant book success)I found myself rooting for the main character to somehow find his way out of this mess.

Liked the ending, too!

Steven said...

Yes, Limitless definitely gets you rooting for the protagonist. **spoiler alert** The part where he drinks the one gangster's blood to get a dose of the drug, though, was pretty sick and sadly accurate about drug addiction. I had to say, though, that Limitless is a great movie for when you are feeling there is not much you can do to change your situation (that and the Pursuit of Happyness).

Jeremy Bates said...

I enjoyed Limitless and I keep repeating on watching it