Pages

April 13, 2013

Blogging From A to Z April Challenge Day Twelve: L is for Levitation


Have you ever seen someone levitate off the ground or a bed and float in the air for a while? Neither have I, but I've read plenty of accounts of claimed levitation. While the most prominent examples of levitation likely come from magicians who use optical illusions, there are traditions of levitation among occultists and practitioners of mainstream religions like Hinduism, Gnosticism, Helenism and Christianity.

How do people levitate? That's a topic of great debate, but there are three schools of thought among believers. One is that a person's psychic power enables levitation through telekinesis or the movement of objects with the mind.Another line of thought is that levitation is achieved when a person's spirit overcomes the body or the person's higher form winning out over the fleshy tabernacle. The third school of thought is that people levitate when acted upon by unseen forces like ghosts or demons.

Skeptics claim levitation is the product of optical illusions, drug-induced hallucinations or some other form of trickery. Levitation has never successfully been performed in a laboratory and so cannot be scientifically verified nor understood.

So what do you think: is levitation a real event or something used only by scam artists? 


8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it's just a really good magician's trick.

Steven said...

Alex, I've never seen anyone levitate in person who wasn't on a stage under lights, etc. My conclusion is it's just a good optical illusion.

Lexie C. said...

I'll agree with you guys, I think it's a really cool trick. :)

Julia King said...

It's an illusion, for sure. Levitation goes beyond the realms of gravity and physics. It can't be done, in my opinion. It can be done in my dreams though. My most common recurring dreams are of me running so fast that my feet rise up off the ground and I'm in a state of motion without having any purchase on the ground. It takes all of my mind power to bring me back to the earth. It's a bit creepy to be honest.

Trisha F said...

I'm not a believer in this either, but then if I did see it happen I might begin to wonder... I am after all of the "seeing is believing" school of thought.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I don't think it's possible. Just an illusion.

Steven said...

Lexie, it is cool to see.

Julia, I guess you could levitate in space or on a planet with little gravity. That wouldn't violate the laws of physics ;)

Trisha, many people do subscribe to the "seeing is believing" school of thought.

Diane, agreed.

Gina Gao said...

This is a really nice trick. I still need to see this for myself in order to believe it.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com