Pages

April 15, 2013

Blogging From A to Z April Challenge Day Thirteen: M is for Mediumship



Everyone has heard of psychics and most people have heard of mediums, but most people don't know the difference between the two.

A psychic is a person who claims to have the ability to perceive what is normally hidden from a person's senses. This can include auditory, visual and other such stimuli. Some psychics claim to perceive things from the past, present and/or future. Mediums, on the other hand, literally act as an intermediary between the living and the dead. While some might debate it, I would argue that mediums must use psychic abilities to achieve this communication.

I know so many people think of a medium as some short, old woman sitting at a circular table in a dimly-lit room, gazing into a crystal ball on the table. While some mediums work this way, not all do. There are mediums who claim to work with the help of spirit guides who literally fetch the dead people being summoned during a seance. Other mediums claim to have the ability to allow spirits to hop into their body and control it, either speaking through the medium directly to the living or performing physical tasks like writing or drawing messages. Yet other mediums claim they speak with the dead through telepathy, which is called mental mediumship.

Some mediums claim that they communicate with the dead through physical means. These can include rapping or tapping on different parts of a structure, full-body apparitions manifesting themselves to the medium and others in the room and disembodied spirit voices.

People go to mediums to communicate with the dead as a way to achieve closure over the loss of a loved one, out of curiosity about what lies in wait beyond death and even to rid their house or business of a haunting.

Of course the subject of mediums in highly controversial. Science has not been able to substantiate any mediumship claims and there have been quite a few fraudsters who have been exposed since the late 19th Century. The big question is, do you believe in communication with the dead?


7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't believe you can the way the mediums do it.

myriteofpassage said...

I think the sixth sense is well developed in both instances - psychics and mediums - even though they have different skills. -Belinda.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'd don't know if it's real, but the use of a medium in ghost stories is always creepy.

Lexie C. said...

I think I believe in some sort of communication with the dead, but I don't know about mediums/psychics. I believe it's more of a personal experience.

Julia King said...

All I can say is I love the tv show Medium. I've got to start watching it on Netflix.

PS: I'm loving you theme for the A to Z Challenge. :)

Kate said...

I've never had the reason to form a real opinion (or the opportunity for that matter). But for entertainment's purposes, I sure like believing.

Steven said...

Alex, you're not alone in your skepticism, as you can see from others' comments.

Belinda, I completely agree.

Diane, this is why I used a medium in my first paranormal book. I'll be bringing her back in the future.

Lexie, I think quite a few people think the same way.

Julia, I'm a big fan as well. I bought the complete DVD set before it hit Netflix :)

Kate, I didn't have much of an opinion until I started interviewing mediums. In my opinion it's wise to remain open-minded when you have little experience with something.