Pages

April 4, 2014

Blogging From A to Z Challenge Day 4: D is for Demonology

For the month of April I will be participating in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Learn more about the challenge by clicking here. Each day (except Sundays) I will be posting a theme based on each letter of the alphabet. This blog is covering paranormal topics for the month. To read my automotive blog posts for the challenge, click here.

Demonology is a complex field of study that crosses into many different disciplines, namely theology and occultism. I have read several books on the subject and bumped into the field of study in many other works, but I have to admit that it is so incredibly complicated I don't entirely get it. Maybe this is why there are demonologists who dedicate their entire lives to the study of the subject.

Of course, demonology is the study of demons and their activity -- that's the easy, straightforward part. The not-so-easy part is understanding what all it entails. Most people in western culture are familiar with the Catholic notion of demonology and demonic activity. Demons are non-human spirits that are followers of Satan and seek to destroy mankind by leading people into temptation. All kinds of hideous acts have been blamed on demonic possession, and many people have said that they were attacked by demons trying to inhabit their body, receiving scratches and other physical wounds as a result. I've spoken with people who have experienced such phenomena, but never have I been on the receiving end.

I should mention that demonology varies incredibly from culture to culture. Some have beliefs that are at least somewhat aligned with the Catholic view on demons, while others believe that demons (or daemons, as they call them) are actually spirits just under the gods. Jin, or Genies, have been described by some as demonic, although there are many in Arabic cultures who disagree with this assessment.

My personal favorite daemon in fiction is Sauron from Middle Earth.

Have you ever experienced activity you believe to be demonic?

11 comments:

Holli Moncrieff said...

Interesting post. I've never really believed in demons, although shows like Paranormal Witness certainly present tons of eye-witness testimony that there IS something evil out there. I personally find the evil that ordinary human beings are capable of a lot scarier. But that's not paranormal. :)

What is your opinion of Ed Warren, who claimed to be a demonologist? Do you think Ed and his wife were honest about the things they experienced?

#1Nana said...

Really? They get paid to study this topic?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've not encountered a demon and hope I never do.

mshatch said...

I just ordered two books to help me with my current project and one is is all about Demons. I can't wait to get it. Such a fascinating subject.

Robin said...

Happy to say that I have never encountered any actual demons. I have dated a few monsters (not the same thing) and married one (again, not the same thing).

I like the TV show, Supernatural, with addresses demon lore - and actual demons.

Did you watch the movie Constantine? I thought that interpretation of demons very interesting.

Lexa Cain said...

I've never experienced anything supernatural, but I love stories about "what if"! :)

David P. King said...

If I had known you can be paid for this, I would have altered my studies a little. Excellent post! :)

Tina said...

Very interesting topic, and yes, so much to learn. I like that you point out that beliefs vary from culture to culture, and I'd also add, are different according to different faiths.
I fully believe they exist, but fortunately have not encountered any myself, nor do I care to!
Thanks for visiting at Life is Good - I'm a bit behind in returning comments as are most of the co-hosts, I'd venture to say ;-)
I love your tidbit about the girlfriend sliding off the fender. If she'd sat on my car, she'd have dirty pants...
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

Michael Di Gesu said...

Definitely interesting.

I had an experience once with a demonic... I was walking and "it' drove close to me... opened the window and hissed.

Quite frightening. I just knew it wasn't human by the eyes... I've been told by many psychics that I have a very strong pure white aura... apparently it was too much for this creature.

Yes, this is a true story. There are demonics among us.

VR Barkowski said...

Ditto what Alex said. I find demons, particularly the idea of possession, very disturbing. I don't believe it can be explained away by mental illness.

Sauron is my favorite demon as well. He even got a mention in my first book—but then so did Ozzy Osbourne. :)

VR Barkowski

D Biswas said...

I loved movies like Omen, but have had no personal experience of anything supernatural.

Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014, Latest post on Daily (w)rite
Twitter: @damyantig
#atozchallenge