Pages

April 11, 2014

Blogging From A to Z Day 10: J is for Jewelry


For the month of April I will be participating in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Learn more about the challenge by clicking here. Each day (except Sundays) I will be posting a theme based on each letter of the alphabet. This blog is covering paranormal topics for the month. To read my automotive blog posts for the challenge, click here

When most people think about the paranormal, one of the last things on their mind is jewelry. But when you think about it, jewelry is an item that is incredibly close to you, in many ways closer than your clothing. Many people wear their jewelry against their skin, and the choose designs that have deep personal meaning (just ask any woman about her wedding ring, if you don't believe me). People who adhered to different paranormal philosophies are no different. Like Christians who wear a crucifix, people of different belief systems wear special jewelry for a variety of reasons.

I don't have the time to get into all of the different types of paranormal jewelry here since it is honestly a subject that could fill up a whole book, complete with many pictures. The reasons why people wear paranormal-themed jewelry varies. Some pieces are designed to provide protection to the wearer, like the picture of the Celtic knot pendant at the top of this post. Other pieces of jewelry are worn as a reminder of different beliefs, like the Cross of Life or a Tree of Life pendant. Certain groups wear jewelry as a way to identify other members, which certainly is not unique to believers in the paranormal. Still others are worn by a person who believes that the jewelry arms them with extra sensitivities or powers, like people who wear jewelry with special crystals or other natural materials.

 Different pieces of jewelry might work for one person and yet do nothing for another, perhaps based on level of belief or other personal attributes.

Examples of paranormal jewelry in fiction abounds. Perhaps the best-known is the One Ring from Tolkien's Middle Earth tales. There is also the Time Turner from the third Harry Potter book, and even the various crucifixes worn by characters in Salem's Lot.

Can you think of any more examples?

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In the series Warehouse 13, there was cursed jewelry.

Holli Moncrieff said...

Interesting post. I can't think of another example from fiction, but mediums often use the jewelry of someone deceased to "hone in on" or contact them.

And there's also evil eye pendants. Those are worn for protection as well.

Robin said...

I have a rose quartz crystal necklace. I can't even remember what it "should" be worn for, but I wear it when it matches my clothes. ha! It is very pretty. I used to have a necklace with the symbol for harmony on it. Unfortunately, I broke it. However, I would wear it to achieve balance. I don't know if it worked.

randi lee said...

I love the thought of jewelry being cursed artifacts. I've added cursed jewelry elements to stories before and have always liked the outcome.

Steven said...

Alex, never seen it, but thanks for the reference!

Holli, excellent point about mediums and evil eye pendants.

Robin, does that mean you broke your balance? ;)

Randi, maybe I'll have to try that one of these days.

Patricia Lynne said...

Wasn't there also a cursed necklace in Harry Potter? It was in the 6th book I think.

~Patricia Lynne~
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, YA Author