Pages

April 12, 2014

Ghost Knocking


Have you ever heard knocking in the night, only to get up and check the house and find nobody is at the door? Did the knocking cease or did it continue, traveling through the house until it sounded on your bedroom walls?

I've never experienced that exact phenomena, although I will admit I've heard knocking sounds at night and have never been able to pinpoint the source. Was it a paranormal event? I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I did live in one house where something would pound on the front and back doors at night. My wife first experienced it and I was sure it was something that just sounded like pounding, until one night the pounding happened on a door I was right next to. The door had a large window, which was uncovered, and there was absolutely nothing outside.

Some people have experienced loud and persistent knocking in their house, such as the Bell Witch Haunting. In that case, the spirit(s) communicated with the living through the knocking. Some people believe that knocking that travels throughout a house and seems to travel toward a specific person is a sign of Infestation, or the first stage of demonic possession. I can imagine that knocking traveling through your house would be quite unnerving. I even used it in my first book, and I had readers tell me the scene haunted them afterwards.

There is also the topic of death knocks, or when three distinct knocks sound on a person's door in the night, yet nobody is outside doing to knocking. According to old tales, the knocking is Death itself, signaling that it will soon take someone in the house or someone who is closely tied to the people who live in the house.

Have you ever heard disembodied knocking, or known someone who has?  

9 comments:

randi lee said...

We lived in a *very* old farmhouse as a kid, and there was a small hatch leading into the dirt-floored basement right in our (my brother and I) bedroom. I'd hear knocking coming from the door late at night and freeze in my bed, too petrified to even breathe. Years down the road, my brother admitted that he was the one who snuck downstairs late at night and knocked on the door in order to scare the pants off of me. It worked!!

Holli Moncrieff said...

I have. My best friend died when were 17 years old. I was playing a mixed tape she had made, when it got to her favourite song. It was in the middle of the tape, but when her song ended, the boom box started to rewind without me touching it until it was at the beginning of the song again. Then it began to replay the song.

I got really scared. I said her name as a question, and then all of a sudden, it sounded like someone was knocking on all the kitchen cupboards really loud and fast, one after the other. I've never been so scared in my life. I ran into my bedroom and yelled something like, "please go away. I'm not ready for this!" and it stopped. Nothing like that has happened since.

It seems unbelievable, even to me, but I swear it actually happened.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One night when I came home to my apartment (before I was married), there was a loud pounding on the other side of the door before I inserted the key. I think I stood there a whole minute before finally unlocking the door. Never found anything and fortunately it never happened again.

Patricia Lynne said...

I've never had unexplained knocking happen to me. There's been sounds, but 99% of the time it was something benign and not supernatural.

~Patricia Lynne~
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, YA Author

Lexa Cain said...

That's very cool! I never experienced it though. :(

Morgan said...

Okay… this kind of stuff FREAKS me out…

There was one night when I was babysitting (A teenager at the time) and loud knocking sounded behind me on the window. I was sitting in a tall chair, so I knew I wasn't visible--but it was terrifying. There were reports the next day of strange pounding on other people's doors. I'll never forget the fear! (I'm sure it was just a group of punk teens, but of course with my crazy mind…)

mshatch said...

Haven't experienced knocking nor do I want to!

Michael Di Gesu said...

I never heard knocking on doors, but I did through the house.

I have a ghost in my condo. Yes, it's true... A playful child ghost. I think it's a boy. He hinds things on me and returns them to the place I had left them two days later. Freaky, yes... but I got used to it.

Robin said...

Never experienced knocking.

The idea of death knocking at your door... and she shivers.