Pages

April 16, 2014

Nosferatu


For centuries vampires have fascinated humans, although the reasons why seem to morph over time, just like any legend. The term Nosferatu is not used much today to refer to the undead. Scholars today theorize that it is an old Romanian word that was used to refer to vampires, although some linguists believe it was used to refer to all unclean spirits or even the devil himself. Whichever is the case, the word was brought into popular usage by Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I find it interesting that so many people attach a very hard definition and set of characteristics to a creature that most people believe never existed. In the past few years, I've heard and read many people complain about some nonsense of sparkling vampires, because apparently when they've been studied in their natural habitat, the undead do not sparkle in sunlight but instead at least don't tan very evenly. I have to admit, I've joined in on some of these complaints, because someone has to teach the youth of today what "real" vampires are all about.


Somehow I made it up until a couple of moths ago without reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I must say that for the most part I enjoyed the book, even though some of the anachronisms were aspects I had trouble "connecting" to. I prefer my vampires to be deadly and evil, and in King's book they are just that.

One of my all-time favorite portrayals of vampires come from the television show The X-Files. I know, no surprise there, but the two vampire episodes are among my personal favorites. What are you favorite vampire tales?


11 comments:

Holli Moncrieff said...

The movie Salem's Lot terrified me when I was a kid! My favourite vampire tale is probably Stoker's classic-I didn't care for Rice's version or Stephenie Meyer's.

But Stephen King also has a great short story about a cynical author who writes about the paranormal to make a quick buck, even though he doesn't believe a word of it. He meets a vampire in, of all places, a public bathroom--classic King. If he can involve a bathroom in his stories, he usually does.

If you haven't read that story, I recommend it.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Steven...

An interesting word. I don't think I've ever heard it.

It may very well be of Romanian origin. The mystique of Vampires originated there.

I had visited Dracula's castle in Brasov, Transylvania... It's nothing like the movie versions. IT's WHITE with terra cotta roofing. quite beautiful...

Robin said...

I tend to like most things vampire. I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel when they were on. I read the Anne Rice books. I've read the Twilight series. And I get a kick out of The Vampire Diaries (and its spin-off The Originals). And if I were doing HERE'S TO YOU THURSDAY this week, you would be getting this... HERE'S TO YOU...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7ytrPdrtU

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I second Holli - the movie Salem's lot was scary. That was a true vampire.
I like the way the Blade movies explored the different aspects of vampires.

Carolyn Branch said...

I've never heard that word before - thanks for adding to my vocabulary. One of the scariest movies I've seen is the old Alfred Hitchcock, The Birds. True horror comes when something ordinarily innocent turns against us.

David P. King said...

I have a hard time getting into vampires, though I understand why vampires are appealing. It's okay though. I found my horror needs in zombies, even though most people I know (some who are vampire fans) don't understand why. :)

Patricia Lynne said...

It's been years sine I've read Salem's Lot and I remembered enjoying it. I love vampires and a lot of my stories end up with vampires in them. ^^

~Patricia Lynne~
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, YA Author

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Love the sign for Twilight.

The first Nosferatu movie was effective.

randi lee said...

Agree with LD--Nosferatu was very effective--Salem's Lot also scared me to death when I was a kid! I'm honestly not the vampire sort, though, so I haven't seen too many other vamp movies in my time.

Huntress said...

The origin of words is a fascinating subject. But even more so the beginnings of mythical creatures. Or are they myths? *wiggling eyebrows*

Nicki Elson said...

It does make me laugh how people can get so irate about the characteristics of "real" vampires, but I like to think that had I been Meyer's editor, those vamps would not have been all glittery.

I like the stoker brand of vamp. A quiet, silky evil.