Pages

April 5, 2014

Blogging from A to Z Day 5: E is for Extraterrestrials

For the month of April I will be participating in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Learn more about the challenge by clicking here. Each day (except Sundays) I will be posting a theme based on each letter of the alphabet. This blog is covering paranormal topics for the month. To read my automotive blog posts for the challenge, click here.

This topic really doesn't need an introduction since everyone these days seems to be well-verse in the basics of what constitutes an extraterrestrial. So instead of boring everyone, I'll just jump right into the meat of the topic.

There are varying beliefs about extraterrestrials out there, from people who believe aliens have already taken over all world governments to those who think there is no such thing as a being not from our planet. Extraterrestrial churches have popped up since at least the 1960s. Some people claim to have been abducted by aliens and experimented on, while others say the aliens have lectured them about not polluting the Earth. There are even people who have constructed elaborate theories about how humans and all the animals on the planet are here because aliens placed them here as part of an experiment or out of some unknown benevolence.

Interestingly enough, statistically men are more predisposed to a belief in aliens than women are. Some researchers think this is a result of men thinking logically as they reason that with all the planets out there, at least some have to be inhabited by sentient life, and out of all those planets at least some of that life has technology beyond our own.

Interestingly enough, many reported alien encounters fall along archetypal waves. The first ones in the 1940s and 1950s centered almost exclusively on "little green men." Such accounts have largely disappeared. Since then, almost all accounts have centered on "Greys." As I mentioned before, people have described similar scenarios of being taken against their will, being exposed to a bright white light and being experimented on. Some have even claimed they were impregnated by extraterrestrials.

It certainly is easy to write off all accounts of these close encounters of the third kind by saying the witnesses are a bunch of redneck yokels, but some recent scholarship on the subject has uncovered that many highly educated people who live in urban areas will admit to experiencing similar events, even though they are too embarrassed to tell anyone about it.

So what's the deal with aliens? Are you a believer, or do you think it's a case of mass hysteria?

10 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm fascinated by the topic but can't say I believe in ET sightings or kidnappings.

randi lee said...

Firm believer! There's no way we're alone. The uni is too big for us to be singular. Extra-t life may not be evolved enough to travel to earth and attack us Independence-Day-style, but it's out there. I just know it.

Robin said...

I believe that there must be other Life Forms out there. I have no idea if they have ever been here. If so, they are more advanced than we and were smart enough to study us before revealing themselves. Given that... I don't think we will be ready for alien life for a long time. Our first instinct is fear and to kill it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it's possible but have a hard time believing in abductions.

mshatch said...

I don't know if they're here, or have been here, but I definitely believe they're out there. After all, the universe is huge - endlessly so - so it would seem mathematically likely that our planet is not the only inhabited one.

Stepheny Houghtllin said...

Stopping by on the 5th day of the #atozchallenge while looking for fellow writers. Congratulations on your blog. I know you are going to make new blogging friends this month. I'm writing about gardening and related topics and having a wonderful time. If you have time or interest, come and visit.

Holli Moncrieff said...

I have an open mind, but I still struggle to believe in them. However, the Travis Walton story really gave me pause. I can't believe that many guys would open themselves up to ridicule like that, and for what?

Some say it was an elaborate hoax, but I'm inclined to believe him. Do you have an opinion about that case?

Oh, and women can think rationally too. ;)

Morgan said...

I suppose I fall right into the statistic then ;-)

While I don't believe in little green men, I still find the topic fascinating.

And PROPS to you, Steven, for doing the A-Z. Holy, I have panic attacks just thinking about it…

Stephanie Faris said...

That's so funny--my husband is always watching shows about UFOs and aliens, while I'm more into stories about ghosts. I never thought it was a female-male thing, but you may be right! It's not that I don't believe in them--it just doesn't fascinate me as it does him.

Steven said...

Karen, many people feel the same way. The jury's still out for me, though.

Randi, let's hope we never deal with a violent invasion!

Robin, you're absolutely right -- intelligent aliens would be highly cautious around us and for good reason.

Alex, the statistics show you're in the majority.

Marcy, you're using that rational thought process many use when it comes to extraterrestrials. I agree, by the way.

Stepheny, thank you for stopping by!

Holli, I don't have a firm opinion about the case, but there are claims that Walton was deeply in debt and was looking for a way to make some quick cash. If so, it would be similar to the Amityville Haunting accusations, which I tend to believe. I don't think several witnesses necessarily adds credibility, unless those witnesses are credible. But I haven't studied the case in-depth, so I can't tell you for sure what I think. I can tell you that I believe women can think rationally, but that men tend to only think rationally about the paranormal, whereas women are more likely to let their emotions guide them, to one extent or another. In that respect, I deviate from the male stereotype to an extent.

Morgan, thanks for coming by again. And watch out for the little green guys in the sky ;)

I didn't think about the gender bias until I read about it as part of the Baylor Religion Survey results.