Pages

April 9, 2014

Blogging From A to Z Day 8: H is for Horoscopes

For the month of April I will be participating in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge. Learn more about the challenge by clicking here. Each day (except Sundays) I will be posting a theme based on each letter of the alphabet. This blog is covering paranormal topics for the month. To read my automotive blog posts for the challenge, click here.

Who doesn't know what a horoscope is? They are always around us. I don't know if I've ever seen a newspaper without one. They are pervasive online as well. Don't believe me? Google "horoscope" and you'll see, or look on the app store for your phone.

I've studied psychic phenomena in its many forms. What's interesting is that most people don't trust psychics, or at least not the ones you see on TV, etc. and yet they will read and follow their daily horoscope almost religiously. Why there is a distinction, I'm not sure.

In case you didn't know, your horoscope is derived using a chart that shows the position of the sun, moon, and the other planets. The word comes from Greek and means "a look at the hours." An astrologer uses different diagrams, charts, etc. to formulate horoscopes. It can be a highly complex task, believe it or not.

Personally, I've never been a big horoscope believer. Apparently as a Libra I'm fair and balanced and love to please everyone. The result is that I supposedly stretch myself too thin since I fear saying no to anyone. I don't put a lot of stock into this, but I know people who are faithful about reading and adhering to theirs. I also know people who think that horoscopes are evil things and a symbol of Helenism. To each their own, I guess.

Do you read your horoscope? Do you think there's something to the practice?

8 comments:

Jen K said...

I occasionally peak at my horoscope. Sometimes it's right sometimes it's not. It's fun to look!

Nicki Elson said...

I get a kick out of reading my horoscope once in a while, but I put it in the same category as fortune cookies---fun, but that's about it. Though it is pretty freaky when they line up w/ my current reality.

Robin said...

I don't put much stock in the daily horoscope. That is my kind way of saying that it is so general that I don't see it as being helpful. And people's birth sign, or sun sign, often only describes them partially. Why? Because you have MANY other signs. The only way to get any sort of accurate picture is to have your chart done. With the advent of the internet, many sites offer this for free. You need to know date, location and exact time of birth.

People who embody the traits of their birth sign usually have many planets residing in that house. People who don't... usually have many planets in a totally different house. And people who think that they have aspects of all the signs have plants spread throughout lots of houses. It is actually very complex. And surprisingly spot-on when you see your chart in its entirety.

Holli Moncrieff said...

I never read my horoscope, but whenever I read a description of what a Gemini is supposed to be like, it's scarily accurate…for the most part.

Of course the negative stuff never applies. ;)

David P. King said...

I'm a Libra as well! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

I don't put much stock in it, but when I was a kid, I liked being able to say that I was a lion (leo). It sounded cool to me. Otherwise, I just think it's more likely that birth order, genetics, and life circumstances and events shape our personalities and choices.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's one thing I do think is rather bogus. Like everyone of a certain sign could have the same kind of day.

Teresa Powell Coltrin said...

I'm Pisces. Even though I don't follow horoscopes, when I read my profiles there nearly spot on.