Pages

June 13, 2014

USOs: the Mysteries of the Ocean

Everyone has heard of UFOs, or unidentified flying objects. Interestingly enough, the term that originally applied to any flying object in the sky that the observer was unable to identify, but subsequently has been used as a term for a supposedly extraterrestrial craft seen flying over Earth. Most people have never heard of the term USO, so the point of this post is to raise your awareness on the topic.

Quite simply, a USO is an unidentified swimming object, or an unidentified submersible object. I think most people's first reaction is to smirk and ask if the term is really serious, so I'm here to assure you that it is a real term.

USOs have been reported over the years by people in boats, as well as those who are out scuba diving below the ocean's surface. The objects typically are reported as not being organic in form, but rather that they look like vehicles of some sort, but not like anything made by humans. Naturally, skeptics have contested that most of the claims are people who have gotten worked up because they saw a sea creature or maybe even a submarine that they misidentified.

What are USOs? Nobody really knows. Some people genuinely believe that they are alien craft that might have crash-landed into the ocean, or that were built to hide in the ocean (sounds like a recent Star Trek trick, doesn't it?).

There are countless examples of USOs in movies and books. One of my most favorite comes from The Abyss. Can you name any others?

What do you think of USOs? Are they real or just people who can't figure out a fish is a fish? If you want to learn even more, check out this fairly long (45 minute) documentary on them.



7 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I've heard of Unidentified Submerged Objects, and of course The Abyss is one of my favorite movies (except for the drowning scene). There are all kinds of strange things in the depths of the ocean. Did you see last year's news story about the giant eye that washed ashore? How about the current news story about some creature unknown creature large enough to eat great white sharks?

If there are creatures that huge underwater that we've never seen, why not extraterrestrials?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, the Abyss came to my mind as well. Hey, what better place to hide than in the depths of the ocean?

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm definitely going to have to come back and watch that video - anything unexplained appeals to me! I've never heard that term before though.

Gina Gao said...

This sounds especially interesting. I'm relatively new to the realm of science fiction, but I'll research this topic some more!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Robin said...

A friend of mine visited over the weekend and was telling me about some show she watched about Deep Sea Creatures. She said that these are the animals found strictly in the deep waters of the oceans. Many of them look prehistoric and scary (her words). I bet one of them could have a really big eye!

I don't have any thoughts on objects seen in the ocean that appear Not From Here. I am open to the idea simply because I believe that others live in space.

Arlee Bird said...

There are plenty of mysteries and unknowns in the world's waters and there is a lot of water. I don't doubt that there are things we've never imagined in the oceans and other bodies of water.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Holli Moncrieff said...

I hadn't heard of the term USO until I discovered your blog. I'm not sure I have a favourite movie or book that deals with USOs, but it's always been my dream to see Nessie.