Pages

February 20, 2015

I am a Dexter Addict


I'm not really addicted to many things, but I do have one weakness: Dexter. A college professor told me about the show way back when it was first airing, but at the time I had no time for television. Well, thanks to a wonderful invention called Netflix, I've finally been able to sit down and watch several seasons of the show.

When I watched the first episode, I was apprehensive. After all, who the hell is called Dexter? Oh, yeah, and it's about a serial killer who knocks off bad guys, but I still have my moral objections to cheering on a serial killer. Then I watched the show and realized it was so much more complicated. Even though Dexter thinks he's a simple monster, he's really more human than he suspects. He uses Rita as camouflage, yet by doing that she begins to draw out what's humane in Dexter.


Many people have complained that Dexter is too dark and grotesque. I often write about dark subjects, and have found that for me personally doing so is actually encouraging. That's because in the darkest moments, what is truly inside each of us really shines forth. Of course, some people have so much darkness inside of them that they do horrific things, but others find out that they have so much good in them they might not have even realized was there. So where others see darkness, I see the light of humanity pushing back against the dead of night, refusing to give in.

The first season was a real trip. I have to admit that fairly early on I figured out who the Ice Truck Killer was, but that didn't ruin a thing. There was still that big train wreck coming at the end of the season, and because I knew who the other serial killer was, it actually made me more interested to see what was going to happen.

I love that through Miami Metro Homicide, the viewer's able to see the diverse and interesting culture that is Miami. I grew up watching Miami Vice and am glad Dexter shows a completely different side of the city.

In that first season you have Deb, Dexter's sister, who lacks confidence big time and has the worst instincts when it comes to guys (and so far in the series still does). She tries to put on a tough exterior by cussing way too much, but the reality is she's a marshmallow on the inside.


The pacing for the first season was perfect, with every episode drawing you along in a smooth flow all the way to the conclusion. The mystery and intrigue surrounding the ice truck killer and why Dexter is the way he is makes for a compelling draw, and the reveal was supremely satisfying.

Even the music is multi-layered and supremely interesting, with a mixture of a dramatic and highly original score, plus great Latino tunes and some old classics, creating the perfect backdrop.

If you can handle some gore (less than what you see on The Walking Dead) and can grapple with the complexity of a serial killer who's trying to use his disposition for "good," then I highly recommend Dexter. It's by far one of the best television shows I've ever seen.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The premise never drew me in, but I might check it out on NetFlix someday.

VR Barkowski said...


I loved Dexter and watched the first four seasons but lost touch with the series during one of my moves. At the time, it was pretty much the only show I watched. For me, the draw was Dexter. I wanted to understand why I rooted for this character (even before learning what happened to him as a child). What was it about this character that engendered my empathy? How did the show's writers accomplish this?

VR Barkowski

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I was hesitant too, but it's an awesome show.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I started reading your post, but then skimmed to the end so I wouldn't stumble on any spoilers. I have never watched Dexter, but I'm always looking for my next Netflix obsession.

Dexter, it might be!

Agatha E said...

Google is such a wonderful tool :) I typed "I am a Dexter addict" and voila! Your blog popped up.

I, myself, am a late Dexter bloomer. I hate watching series on television. Way to impatient to wait for the next series.

My cousin recommended I watch Dexter as it is complete. I ended up watching all 8 seasons in the space of a month. Every day I couldn't wait to get home to get my Dexter fix.

And now I feel semi empty. I have searched high and low for a possible sequel and even signed a Facebook petition for a season 9! I have watched interviews at ComicCon and am avidly watching out for anything new on Dexter.

Hi, my name is Agatha and I am a Dexter addict :)